Hoopa Valley

Cosce brothers play the waiting game, with big year anticipated

438a3133-3

Ray Hamill/HumboldtSports.com – Louis Cosce

By Ray Hamill — Local MMA fans are expecting a big year for the Cosce brothers, but for now they’re playing the waiting game like everyone else.

Brothers Orion and Louis have been sensational in the cage over the past two years since turning pro, building a reputation as two talented up-and-comers.

The biggest obstacle for each, according to trainer Brian Wilson on multiple occasions, is finding fights, with no one wanting to face them.

Wilson expects both fighters to hit the big time sooner rather than later.

“There’s something electric about him,” Wilson said of Louis after one of his wins last year. “Him and his brother really are next level talent.”

Both are 6-0 as professional fighters, with Louis’ last win coming at the internationally televised Combate Americas in Stockton in December, when he made short work of Art Hernandez in a 165-pound showdown, finishing the fight in just 18 seconds on a TKO.

Nicknamed The Monster, Louis has ended all six of his pro fights in the opening round.

80027115_2436553706454517_231193120266518528_o

Submitted photo

Orion has been equally dominating, with his last win coming at Bear River Casino in late January, when he got the better of Wally Wester on a third-round TKO in his toughest test yet.

“They’re the best fighters in the area, and two or three years from now they’re going to be among the best fighters in the world,” Wilson said of the brothers after that win. “We’ve been treated getting to witness them here.”

Both are expected back in the cage soon, but all plans are on hold for now due to the Corona Virus.

“As of right now, with all the COVID-19 we don’t know when the next fight is,” Orion said on Friday night. “But the Cosce brothers are just staying ready.”

609

Submitted photo

Orion is in town from his base in Sacramento this week, training outdoors with his brother, who still trains out of the Lost Boys gym in Arcata, where both brothers got their start.

Both brothers, who are former Hoopa High wrestlers, will likely have fights lined up again in the summer.

COVID-19 may have set their plans back for now, but you can expect this still to be a big year for both fighters.

Leave a Reply