By Ray Hamill — The California Interscholastic Federation officially postponed the start of the 2020/21 sports calendar on Tuesday.
In a press release announcing the decision, the CIF said it does not expect to get the go-ahead from state health officials until the new year at the earliest, forcing its hand to push back a tentatively scheduled December start.
“All full practice and competition start dates are officially on hold until updated guidance is issued,” the press release said.
The news comes as no surprise after state health officials announced last month they were postponing any updated guidelines on youth sports because of the recent surge in COVID-19 cases.
Currently all youth and high school competition is prohibited in California, and will remain so until updated guidelines are issued.
The CIF, which represents 10 sections, 1,605 member schools, and more than 800,000 student athletes, also officially canceled all fall sports state championships.
The H-DNL, which earlier had approved an alternative calendar to the rest of the state, had already pushed back the start of its sports calendar until the new year.
“I know that many of you are frustrated with the lack of guidance up to this point,” North Coast Section Commissioner Pat Cruickshank said in a press release. “We as a section and statewide as commissioners are also very frustrated with the same thing. The CIF’s continued efforts to work with our state has unfortunately produced no updated guidelines on their part.”
All but one county within the NCS are currently in the state’s purple tier.
“As a section, we will continue to wait on updated guidelines from CDPH,” Cruickshank added. “While I do not anticipate any guidance from them until after the holidays, if we receive anything we will communicate that immediately.”
The NCS Executive Committee is scheduled to meet on December 14 to review the situation.