By Ray Hamill — One step forward, two steps back.
Just one week after returning to practice, the Fortuna High teams have been shut down again because of concerns over COVID-19.
Both the football and boys basketball teams, who had been following CIF guidelines, held their final restricted practices on Wednesday, before suspending activities in response to directives from county health officials.
Volleyball and girls basketball also were scheduled to begin restricted practices.
“Our kids are starting to get in the groove of getting out of the house and having a life again, and we’ve taken that away from them,” boys basketball coach Norm Sotomayor said. “It’s disappointing.”
Sotomayor feels it’s unlikely now his team will see any more time on the court for the remainder of the summer, with the California Interscholastic Federation set to address the high school sports seasons on Monday.
“It really depends on what happens on Monday,” the coach said.